Alcohol Addiction Treatment & Therapies Texas
Alcohol addiction is a problem that affects many aspects of a person’s physical and mental well-being. Treating it can take a multi-faceted approach, benefiting the patient on many different levels.
Upon admittance to an alcohol treatment center, a patient is given a complete physical and mental evaluation. This assures the patient is treated with a tailored approach so they can feel at ease knowing their problems are taken seriously. Each person has their own path to and within addiction. The same goes for recovery.
Premier addiction treatment centers employ a number of methods, including but not necessarily limited to those listed below.
Much like recovery for many forms of substance abuse, medication can be an important part of treatment for those dealing with alcohol addiction. Medication can serve a couple different purposes for an individual in recovery from alcohol abuse. These include:
- Medication to help with withdrawal and cravings: No matter what substance a person is using, when they stop they will normally go through withdrawal and detox. Alcohol is no different but withdrawal from alcohol abuse can be very uncomfortable to say the least. In many cases those withdrawing from alcohol use will need medication to help them deal with the withdrawal symptoms and lingering cravings. After detox though it will be much easier to focus on making a full and long lasting recovery
- Medication to help deal with underlying conditions: Many people who are abusing and/or are addicted to alcohol are doing so in addition to dealing with an underlying condition such as depression, anxiety or past trauma. For these individuals, dealing with the underlying conditions is an absolute must if they are to remain sober. Medication can be used in these cases to deal with underlying mental illnesses to counteract their symptoms and allow the individual to make a full recovery
Different forms of therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: A tried and true method for treating not just alcohol addiction but many different mental illnesses. This method seeks to find the bonds between thoughts, feelings and behaviors so therapist and patient can work together to strengthen the good bonds and reduce or delete the negative ones. The patient is taught to challenge the emotional motivations behind their destructive behaviors. This strengthens their mind not just against alcoholism but emotional challenges in the future. CBT is a practical method of therapy and usually includes homework for reinforcement during daily life
- Solution Focused Therapy: Rather than focusing on conflicts in the patient’s life, this method of therapy is very focused on goals and resolutions. Focusing on the future and letting go of the past is important during the process of recovery and SFT is essential for this. The therapist will learn the patient’s goals and consistently encourage the patient to achieve them
- Brief Strategic Therapy: Consisting of three stages (joining, diagnosing and restructuring), this is a family focused therapy, with the therapist observing how family members function then suggesting improvements for better harmony and happiness. BST isn’t about blaming the family for an individual’s actions. It’s acknowledging every part of the patient’s life and how it has affected them.
- Mindfulness: Mindfulness encourages a patient to focus on the thoughts, feelings, surroundings and actions of their current moment. It’s essential patients temporarily put aside the pain if possible, whether it be physical or mental in nature. Focusing on one particular sensation is very beneficial and helps the patient feel more in control and empowered by what changes they can make in the moment since they can’t do anything about the past
Get help today!
There are many different ways of treating alcohol addiction depending on the patient’s personal history. An important component of a legitimate recovery center is an alumni program that follows up with patients now in recovery but may struggle with staying sober occasionally. Alumni programs also offer do-it-yourself programs on a regular basis to cope with the life of recovering addiction. It’s important to know recovery as life-long process, a lifestyle. While this can sound exhausting, good rehabilitation will give the tools needed to make this a seamless, empowering existence.
Finding these treatment options can be a daunting task but we offer resources for finding them easily. To reach an addiction treatment facility, please call or talk to a member of our team through online chat.